Saturday 4 August 2012

Book Review - Torn by Cat Clarke


Summary:
Four girls. One dead body. A whole lot of guilt.

Alice King isn't expecting the holiday of a lifetime when she sets off with her classmates on a trip to the Scottish wilderness, but she's not exactly prepared for an experience beyond her darkest nightmares...

Alice and her best friend Cass are stuck in a cabin with Polly, the social outcast, and Rae, the moody emo-girl. Then there's Tara - queen of mean. Powerful, beautiful and cruel, she likes nothing better than putting people down.

Cass decides it's time to teach Tara a lesson she'll never forget. And so begins a series of events that will change the lives of these girls forever... 

A compelling story of guilty secrets, troubled friendship and burgeoning love.

Review:
Honestly, this book sucked me in from the moment I saw the front cover. I know - 'don't judge a book by it's cover' right, but the image on the front was so captivating and intriguing. Anyway, after reading the summary I knew I had to read this book. 

 One thing I loved when reading this book was the simple and to the point style of writing. I really like Cat Clarke's style of writing as you don't get lost in pages of descriptions and unnecessary passages. Because of this, I am looking forward to reading more of her books in the future.

Another thing I really liked was the fact that the chapters were fairly short (about 7 or 8 pages long). I liked this because I always try to finish the chapter before I put a book down and because I read before bed, I get tired of reading if a chapter is really long and I'll usually get a bit bored. However, with the shortness of the chapters combined with the style of writing, I found that I could read a few chapters a night and still be captured by every word I read!

Anyway, so the book is about the human nature of survival / self-preservation and also tackles the theme of guilt and the conscience. The main character, Alice, tries to come to terms with her guilt and tries to make a decision between doing the right thing and protecting herself and her friends.

This book was such a page-turner and it was so gripping. I personally loved it and would recommend reading it!! I definitely looked forward to going to bed early to read this. 


Hope you enjoy book review posts - I am just about to start 'Incarceron' by Catherine Fisher and will be doing a review when I finish it.


Thanks for reading. xoxo





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...